How to remove a Blackberry IT Policy
When a BlackBerry smartphone is removed from the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, the BlackBerry smartphone may retain an IT policy that was assigned to the user during the original enterprise activation, and as a result can restrict access to certain features.
To remove an IT policy from a BlackBerry smartphone, use one of the following methods:
Before removing the account from the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, create a blank IT policy on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, and assign it to the BlackBerry smartphone user account. For more information on how to create a blank IT policy, see Article 2022.
If using BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1 SP4 to 5.0 SP2, create a blank IT policy and then remove the IT policy from the BlackBerry smartphone using the Remote Wipe Reset to Factory Defaults rule.
Warning: This procedure can delete either all data, or all data and applications on the BlackBerry smartphone. Back up the data before performing this procedure. For more information on how to back up data, see Article 12487.
- Create a blank IT policy on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server with the Remote Wipe Reset to Factory Defaults rule in the Security Policy Group area set to True. For more information on how to create a blank IT policy, see Article 2022.
- Assign the IT policy to the BlackBerry smartphone user account. For more information on how to assign an IT policy, see Article 2022.
- Click the user account in the BlackBerry Manager, then expand the IT Admin section in the Tasks area.
- Select Erase Data and Disable Handheld.
If using BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 to 5.0 SP4 for Microsoft Exchange, the BlackBerry Administration Service gives the option to remove any custom IT policies from the BlackBerry smartphone user’s account without having to security wipe the BlackBerry smartphone. The Clear IT Policy option on the BlackBerry Administration Service will remove the custom IT policy and apply the default IT policy to the BlackBerry smartphone user’s account.
- Log into the BlackBerry Administration Service.
- Navigate to BlackBerry Solution Management > Users > Manage Users.
- Select the BlackBerry smartphone users to remove the IT policy for.
- Click on Clear IT Policy for user under the Remove from User Configuration heading.
Note: This option is not available at the user level. The default IT policy will be applied by design. Please ensure that the default IT policy has not been modified in the environment when using this option.
Perform a factory reset on the BlackBerry smartphone using BlackBerry Desktop Software. For more information on performing a factory reset, please see Article 18998.